fairytale

fairytale

Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Kitchen Skills emerge from the deep....

Well it may come as a suprise BUT I have kept my promise to be more of a homemade/handmade mummy and wife :D Oh the Joys I have experienced over the last few days!!! It is amazing the feelings and joy you get from working hard in the home!

This past weekend I have been busy! but not from housework (that will be done today), no this weekend was mostly spent in the kitchen! I decided my kids need to have lunchboxes that are purely homemade.....in fact my whole house needs non packaged items!!! even down to the pasta......yep! I went out with the man and purchased a......wait for it......

Jamie Oliver Pasta Machine!!


I haven't been able to use it yet but oh my god am I excited! I also got myself some new pans and new spice rack! eeeek!


Okay now that part is out the way it is time to share with you what I actually made this weekend! first up here is a pic of my first Jamie Oliver 30 minute meals!! and it was absolutely delicious!!!

Tray Baked Chicken with squashed potatoes and creamed spinach! and on the side: Strawberry Slushie!!


Oh it was truly amazing!! and it took some grumbles and help from the man! to get it ready and on the table as I didn't read some instructions very well but eventually it was completed and the taste made up for the grumps :)


Then it was time for me to make some lunchbox snacks! now these I got the hang of fairly well :D I made some lemon meringue muffins (recipe will be up in the next few blogs) and some:


Jam Drop Biscuits


which I would love to share the recipe for right now :D so get that pen and paper out and give these a try!!
250g unsalted butter, softened
140g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
90g cream cheese, softened and cut into chunks
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 and 3/4 cups plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
2 tablespoons each apricot, blueberry and raspberry jam

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Lightly grease three baking trays.

2. Cream the butter, icing sugar and egg yolk in a bowl using electric beaters until pale and fluffy, then beat in the creamcheese, vanilla extract and lemon zest until thick and smooth.

3. Combine the flour, baking powder, bi-carb sodaand 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl and using a wooden spoon, gradually stir into the creamed mixture until a soft dough forms. Set aside for 5 - 10 minutes, or until dough firms up.

4. break off small (15g) pieces of dough, shape into balls and flatten slightly to make 4cm rounds. Transfer to the prepared trays and make an indent with your thumb.

5. spoon 1/4 teaspoon of apricot jam into one-third of the biscuits, 1/4 teaspoon of blueberry jam into one-third, and 1/4 teaspoon of raspberry jam into the remaining one-third of the biscuits.

6. Bake for 10 - 12 minute, or until light golden. Cool for a few minutes on the tray and then transfer to a cooling rack.

These biscuits are best eaten on the day but can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 days!! (as you can see I packaged mine up for school lunches) the leftovers will be eaten for snacks :P

Liane xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment